Monday, September 19, 2011

Taking a Shine to Pumpkins

I really wanted these.

Antique Mercury Glass Pumpkin

Sigh.  They were sold out online {which is probably a good thing}.  My decorating budget is slim pickings this year with one in college, but I simply cannot get on board with the warm and toasty pumpkin orange this year.

So I decided to take a few ugly plastic-ish pumpkins and help them get their shine on-- with a little help from Krylon.


The three little guys were in my fall decor stash from God-knows-when, but I picked up the larger one at Walmart for $4.99 because of it's scale and something special I have in mind for it.


I have shiny finish metallic silver and gold spray paint, but I wanted something a little more subtle.  This caramel latte color just spoke to me. :)


I taped off the stem of the large one because I actually like the texture and color as a low contrast to the new metallic finish.  The little guys didn't have much stem to speak of, so I just went for it.


Love this silvery look!  The top of the stem of the small pumpkins retained just a bit of orange from me picking them up to spray the bottoms.  I love how the nubby texture of the littlest really shows up now.


And here's where two of them ended up!
 If you missed my entire fall mantle you can see it HERE.

Wait'll you see what happened to the large pumpkin -- a cool and classy fall touch {coming soon}.

How about you?  Feel like swapping pumpkin orange for another color this fall?

Linking up here:


Happy Decorating!

10 comments:

  1. I have spray painting pumpkins on my to do list. Good to know I can find some of that size at Walmart for only $4.99. Thanks for the tip. Your pumpkins turned out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the silver look too!! Am not sure what I'm going to do yet. Still waiting for that Fall mood to hit me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, Heidi! The silver is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Heidi, I've seen that color but have not tried it, it's perfect!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Heidi! I really like how they turned out and your mantle is so pretty too! I've wanted to spray paint some myself. Thanks for the tip on the Walmart pumpkins and thanks for your visit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi! I love what you did with the pumpkins...awesome idea! Your mantel looks so pretty! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi....I hadn't thought of spray painting pumpkins....might just have to spray a few white! My color you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out great. I have several of those faux pumpkins that I bought the first year they came out. You can imagine how much they've faded over the years of using them in the yard and porch. I'm using one for tomorrows makeover post.

    Hugs...Tracy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love these... i'm inspired... off to buy from krylon paint & copy your idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty Latte pumpkins.... I'm with you... not feeling it for the orange pumpkins this year. Hope I don't regret painting all my pumpkins in a few years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your thoughts...