Monday, September 26, 2011

Mirror Transformation

Happy Monday, gang! I hope you had a productive but relaxing weekend. :) I don't know about you, but my fall nesting is kicking in.  I feel the autumn chi beginning to flow, but I still have a way to go!  A couple of weeks ago, I came across this mirror in a basement closet.


It's one of those bought-inexpensively-for-a-purpose-that-never-manifested-itself things.  Don't we all have one of those lurking in our basement closet?  This one's been lurking for about six years now, but my DIY lightbulb went off when I found it this time.

I've been longing for a mirror in my dining room for some time now but haven't found the perfect one at the perfect price.  Well, this baby had the perfect price (FREE!) and could become a little closer to the perfect one with a little help from Martha.


I was afraid spray paint would give me a too-even finish, and I wanted something a little less perfect.  Enter Martha's Metallic Glaze in Mercury, sort of a silvery shade of pearl.  I had never used this product before, but I figured what the heck?


I taped off the edge of the mirror first (I'm sometimes a sloppy painter) and brushed a thin coat of the glaze on the frame.  Now, this was a little tricky; the brush marks were very noticeable, and though I wanted them to be somewhat noticeable, I didn't want it to look too hodge-podgey.  The look I was happiest with was when I went all around the frame in one continuous swoop and then feathered the stroke off the edge.


It took two coats to get the look I really wanted, and this stuff has a looooong drying time.  I'm not sure if that's the nature of the product or if I was putting it on a little thicker than you would for other glazing projects.  At any rate, if you're doing a second coat, make sure the first is completely dry before you dive in!


So here she is in her new home! I love that it has a pewter-like finish to it now.  It's perfectly imperfect. I'd show you more of the big picture, but you see that mess on my dining room table?  Yes, that's an upcoming fall tablescape in the works!  Oh, and the dark green paint on the walls?  Yeah, that's going soon, too. :) See how I've pulled the blinds all the way up on the window? Because I have a covered front porch, this room doesn't get a whole lotta light.  When I painted the room 12 years ago (!) it functioned as a front "living room" and had a cozy vibe.  Now that it's my dining room (has been for 6 years now!) I want lighter and brighter.  The blinds are going, gang.  I see some great floor to ceiling drapes in my future, but that's another post all together! Did I say my autumn chi was beginning to flow?

The mirror was a freebie and the glaze was around $6 at Home Depot.  Not bad, eh?

Linking Up!







Happy Decorating!

7 comments:

  1. I think I need to pick up some of that glaze the next time I'm in Home Depot. That is nice looking mirror and an even better price! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you've got quite some plans. Love the mirror. I do like metallics for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. Gotta love a freebie. Can't wait to see what you have in store for your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!! I love that metallics are so popular right now... what a lovely finish for that mirror!! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mirror project Heidi! This is the first project I've seen using the Martha Stewart glaze and it looks great! I can't wait to see your 'new' dining room with paint & drapes! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous. You did a great job. I love it.
    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! It looks perfect for a dining room.
    I have plenty of those tucked away in many areas of my house. Haha! I'm ready for fall too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your thoughts...