Friday, September 16, 2011

Finding my Autumn "Chi" {Fall Mantle}

Finally! A day where I can actually feel fall in the air!  I've been in search of my autumn "chi" since the blogosphere and magazines began exploding with fall decor, recipes, color schemes, etc, and I just couldn't get there.  Maybe crossing over into the second half of September, maybe the chill that blew in last night on a cold front, or maybe that delectable Skinny Cinnamon Dolce latte at Starbucks did it.  Whatever it was, I woke up feeling like beginning the zhushing for fall.  My autumn chi is emerging. :)

I decided to start with the mantle and here's what I came up with...


I've decided I can't quite get on board with the oranges and heavier colors for fall this year.  I'm staying more neutral to keep my spaces as bright as possible.


Nothing says "autumn" like sheafs of wheat, right?  These have been hiding out in stash of decorative items for a couple of years now.  They bring the urn from summer beachy to rustic fall perfectly.


I added texture to my grandmother's silver dish with pine cones and straw spheres.  The combination of tans and browns with the silver keeps it interesting.


This fabulous antique Swedish etching came from my friend Tricia's antique shop she closed this summer.  My little bird marries the umber tones in the art with the blue urn.


Super simple changes here!  I just turned my antique books around so the pages faced out (I love the marbled detailing on one of them!) and added a couple of metallic pumpkins as a nod to the season. {Tutorial  on them coming next week}.

And so one more look at my fall mantle... for now, that is! ;-)



Have you found your autumn chi yet??

Linking up in these wonderful places:

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!





The Lettered Cottage

8 comments:

  1. Working on it! I feel so far behind. Goal for the weekend (among other things) is to drag out the fall/Halloween decs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Love that giant pear. Where is that from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Megan asked about the pear. 'Cause that was my question too! The pumpkins look great as well as the rest of the mantel.
    Smiles, Alice
    Ps I am a native Texas too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan and Alice, the pear is from Ballard's Designs. Still available and sometimes on sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your mirror and the gold frame ...you have such a good taste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re my autumn chi...I'm definitely working on it! Love your photos and autumn decor...so glad I found your blog.
    Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful. stunning. i love the close-ups so we could really feel like we were sitting in your living room! off to ballard designs... wish me luck! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that, your autumn chi. i think i did (finally) find mine, i did what i call "first tier decorating" since i was too lazy to get out all my fall bins.

    love the cools and blues you used.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your thoughts...