Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mad for Metallics

My quest to lighten and brighten my family room has taken on new lustre.  Metallics have been around for awhile, but lately they are catching my eye more than ever. 

Here's my family room challenge: it's not a very large room with only your average 9 foot ceilings.  It gets nice morning light, but can be quite dim in the afternoon hours.  I have a large chocolate brown suede sofa that is terribly comfortable and cozy, but makes the space seem even darker during our short winter afternoons.  I have several wood pieces as well: coffee table, antique writing desk, media stand.

My solution?  More reflective accessories-- i.e. metallics!

I'm off to a great start with my new Ballards mirror.  It's large for the space, but it catches lots of light and with because it's virtually frameless it seems even more expansive.  I added some silver balls and my sweet little metallic deer.  Love my new mantlescape.




Loved it so much, I thought about incorporating even more metallics in the room.  I don't think I could go this far with a silver table.



Kirsten Grove via hgtv.com


 But I do like this look from One Kings Lane...





Truth be told, I'm not really in the market for a new table in the family room, but I was fascinated by all the options in metallics and how you can mix different metallics within the same room or even the same vignette.  It's the accessories that I need, right?



Like these mercury glass candlesticks from Pottery Barn. *Confession-- I have two on back order*  I got them on sale right after Christmas and will have fun finding a dark little corner for these to brighten.


photo by Erika Powell via hgtv.com

How about this simple idea?  Spray paint an ordinary wreath to have an extraordinary accessory.  This would be just as lovely in front of a powder room mirror as it is over this cooktop or on a front door.  Budget-friendly... I like it!

Even more budget-friendly?  Shop around your home.  When I did, I was amazed at what I found.  I have a sideboard full of silver-- in need of polishing admittedly -- but there for the taking.  Why wasn't I using all these pieces anyway?  I had, for some reason, relegated my silver to the dining room. I probably stored them away, tired of polishing on a semi-annual basis, only to have them sit in our little-used dining room unappreciated. 

My newly inspired self said, "Nonsense!"  and I got busy polishing. My grandmother not only displayed her silver pieces, but she used her silver every day.  I could hear her in my ear: "If you use it everyday, it will never need polishing."  And wouldn't these little-used pieces be the perfect accents for my dim little family room?  I didn't think so before, but I've been... enlightened.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days where my silver pieces have landed.  In the meantime, I drew further inspiration from Joan over at For the Love of a House.  I'm not sure how I found her blog, but her entry way and now her kitchen have drawn me in.  She also has some wonderful posts on her collection of hotel silver.  Click over there and see if you find yourself inspired to pull out your silver. :)

Happy Decorating!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! I know everyone is getting on the brass and gold wagon...but I do still love me some silver!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your thoughts...