Friday, August 6, 2010

Happy Birthday, Andy Warhol

I had a different post planned for today, but when it came to my attention that today is Andy Warhol's birthday, I felt compelled to mark the occasion here.  He is by no means my favorite artist, but the art historian in me cannot dismiss his leadership in the Pop Art movement of the 1950's.  And, you have to admit, his images have a familiarity and enormous visual appeal, whether it's the pop culture subject matter, the vibrant colors, or the repetition of a single image in a larger piece.  He was an iconic cultural figure in his own right, coining the now-familiar phrase "15 minutes of fame."  The Brooklyn Museum is hosting an exhibition that runs through September 12, 2010 entitled Andy Warhol: The Last Decade, examining a period of renewed energy, inquisitiveness, and experimentation in his work.

Most of these will be familiar to you.










My personal favorite:  Butterflies, 1955

"I don't know where the artificial stops and the real starts." 
Andy Warhol

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Andy!

    I'm with you...love the butterflies.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! So glad to have you! Now I am off to check out your other site....ciao.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your thoughts...