- Inspect all of your outdoor pots or containers, patio furniture, and outdoor dinnerware. Will they be good for next season or is it time to replace? Now is the time to take advantage of sales on those items. Toss any broken pots or containers and be ready to start fresh for your fall plantings. Click HERE for my recent post on transitional plantings perfect for September.
- Try to extend the life of any potted plants that still look good for the next few weeks. Water them throroughly and give them a little extra TLC until you're ready to completely redo your containters for fall.
- Inside, give your walls and woodwork a good once-over. Mine tend to take a beating over the summer with my family crashing in and out! Old Reliable for me is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to take care of handprints and grubby places. Don't forget around doorknobs and doorjambs. Will you need to repaint, or will a touch-up suffice? Do it now, whatever it is; in a few short weeks the holidays will be knocking on the door.
- Pull out your afghans and see if they need to be dry-cleaned or washed. Swap out throw pillows, either between rooms or pick up a couple of fresh ones from your local discount store to freshen your look for awhile. Target usually has great deals on two-packs of solid color pillows.
- Trade out your pillar candles for fresh ones and nestle them in either coffee beans (lighter colored pillars) or unpopped popcorn (darker colored candles). Easy, fresh, and inexpensive.
- It's too early for pumpkins and gourds for me, so I turn to apples, pears, and pinecones for the next few weeks. Pile them on a creamy platter for your coffee table or line them up along your mantle for a clean modern touch. Click HERE to check out my Simple September Centerpiece that will go the distance until October.
- Whenever you can, open your windows! Breathe in the fresh fall air and give your home a chance to breathe, too.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
September To-Dos: Inspect and Refresh!
I always think of September as not-quite-fall: more of a transistion month. And it's the perfect time to get your game face on for holiday decorating and entertaining (yes, it's right around the corner!) without going whole hog. Here's a few tips from my own To-Do list this month.