Sunday, January 23, 2011

Friday Night Hambone Soup

A brief departure from our winter decorating and my redecorranging at home to share this yummy soup with you.  I made it literally on a wing and a prayer, but it turned out so wonderfully I couldn't keep it to myself!  I had a hambone with a little meat left on it leftover from last weekend, so I pulled it out of the freezer and got busy.

Hambone Soup

1 hambone, with some meat left on it
1 carton reduced sodium chicken broth
6 cups of water
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 bag of baby spinach
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cloves of garlic, minced

In large stockpot, bring hambone, chicken broth, and water to boil.  Simmer over low heat for 1 hour.  Remove hambone and chop any ham into bite size pieces.  Add onion, garlic, and tomatoes to soup stock and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.  Add spinach and chopped ham and simmer over low heat for an additional 30 minutes.

We enjoyed this with cornbread on Friday night, and then with grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch on Saturday.  The hambone adds so much flavor, no salt and pepper necessary.  If you like heartier soups, you could add a can of northern beans, too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your thoughts...